Thank Goodness for IKEA!

It is an absolutely gorgeous day in Vienna today. I know winter is fast approaching and there will be many indoor days, so will make a pact to take leave of the organizing fun and get out at least a few hours everyday.

We visited IKEA yet again last night and bought curtains for the place. I had planned to make them, but thanks to IKEA it was actually cheaper to buy them ready made. It is no trivial event covering all these windows since they are 300 cm tall (over 10 ft.) Pictures coming soon. So, I've been ironing wrinkles out of curtains and sheers all morning while Greg is hard at work installing shelves and counter top in the kitchen.


I finally ran out of steam after we returned home last night. It has been a long and exhausting week. Crashed on the couch and could barely get up to get myself ready for bed. My feet were hurting so bad. I felt I had adjusted to all the walking and then went to DC for a few weeks so now having to adjust all over again. If anyone has had experience with good shoes and can recommend a really good pair for lots of walking I would welcome it. I would love to have some that look stylish and cute, but about to give up on that one!

It is a holiday here today, yes even on Sat., (consumption of Mary or something-don't ask me what this one is about!) So a holiday means all the stores (including grocery) are closed. Since the grocery stores are also closed on Sun. that means no grocery shopping until Mon. We may be eating out a few meals since I never got to the store yesterday. Shopping here is pretty much a daily event since the freezers are about the size of a large shoe box. I feel like I'm working in a kitchen with toy appliances. The oven has one rack and only holds one 9x12 dish. I imagine holiday baking is very interesting. My first attempt at baking cookies was a fiasco (burned on bottoms no matter where I positioned the rack.) I even tried to turn the heat down and it still burned. Sounds like baking will be minimal unless I can figure out this oven. I will just have to be satisfied smelling everyone else's baking (since we are so close together and everyone has windows wide open the smells are heavenly.) Hmmm....wonder how the caloric intake is effected by inhaling through the nose?!

We were invited by another couple to ride the train a few hours to a medieval festival. It was tempting to accept the invitation, but glad we are having a more leisurely weekend. I love being with people and it seems there is always an opportunity to do so here.

I mean't to include some pictures in this blog, but will save that for future ones. OK, back to the curtains! Pray you all have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! So great to keep up with you here! What an adventure! I have a feeling your holiday was the "assumption" of Mary (for Catholics, this is when Mary, who they believe to also be sinless, was received up into heaven.) But your version of "consumption" made me laugh! See, all those years being raised as a Catholic have come in handy!

    Praying that all gets settled and you can enjoy the environs there. Are you accepting visitors?!
    Love,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- and ps- which sweet baby Sheppard is pictured at top left?

    ReplyDelete